Short answer: there are currently over 18 million bitcoins in circulation and there will only ever be 21 million bitcoins created – with about 90% of them already mined.
There will only be a maximum of 21 million bitcoins mined. In terms of total supply, this is how it breaks down:
- as of December 29, 2021, there are 18,91 million bitcoins in circulation.
- 2,09 million bitcoins to go until the cap.
- Total supply will be 21 million.
- There is currently no way to mine just one bitcoin.
- It takes 10 minutes to mine one block with a reward of 6.25 BTC per block.
- According to Bitcoin algorithms, the last coin will be mined by 2140.